A root canal treatment could be helpful to treat your oral problems like tooth pain, swollen gum, etc. It is also beneficial if you want to save the tooth from extraction. It could be helpful to relieve the pain and return to your everyday life.
In this article, Dr. Suhrab Singh from Neo Dental Clinic in Noida discusses root canal treatment.
What is the Root Canal Treatment?
A root canal treatment is a dental procedure relieving pain caused by infected teeth. The infected pulp is removed during the root canal procedure. The surface is disinfected and cleaned, and a filling is placed to close up the space.
A root canal treatment is needed when the oral bacteria infect the pulp inside your tooth. This can happen if a cavity is not treated for a long time. It may also happen if you crack or damage your tooth due to trauma. Dr. Suhrab Singh from Neo Dental Clinic in Noida has expertise in performing root canals. He has more than ten years of experience in treating patients with dental issues.
According to Dr. Singh from Neo Dental Clinic in Noida, the following are the symptoms that you might need root canal treatment for:
- Toothache that would not go away: Tooth discomfort can be caused by various dental issues. Your jaw, cheeks, or other teeth may also be in pain. If you are experiencing discomfort deep within your tooth, you might require a root canal.
- Sensitivity to heat and cold: If your tooth is hurting when you drink or eat anything hot or cold, it may indicate that you need a root canal.
- Swollen gums: When a tooth becomes infected, pus can form in the surrounding region. This might result in puffy, inflamed, or painful gums. Pain when applying pressure to your tooth: When you use stress on your tooth, you may experience discomfort. This might indicate that the nerves around the pulp have been injured.
- Swollen jaw: If the pus collected in your gums doesn’t drain out, it can lead to a swollen jaw.
- Discoloration of the tooth: If your tooth pulp gets infected, it affects the blood supply of your tooth, which can lead to the discoloration of your tooth.
- Loose teeth: An infected tooth can become loose because the infected pulp makes the bone that supports the tooth softer.
- Step 1: Your dentist will put some medication that will numb the surrounding area of the affected tooth. It might feel like a pinching or burning sensation but goes away quickly. Then they will inject some anesthetic medicine into your gums. You will be awake during the whole process of a root canal, but you will not feel any pain due to the anesthesia.
- Step 2: After your tooth is numb, your dentist will make a small insertion in the top of your tooth. Once the diseased or damaged pulp has been exposed, the professional will gently remove it using special instruments known as files. They will take special care to clean out all of the canals in your tooth.
- Step 3: After your dentist removes the pulp, they might coat the area with antibiotics to ensure that the infection is not there anymore and prevent it from happening again. Once the canals are disinfected and cleaned, your dentist will fill and shut the tooth with a paste used to seal the tooth and rubber-like material called gutta-percha.
- Step 4: Next, your dentist will fill the insertion on the top of the tooth with a temporary and soft material to prevent the canals from being damaged by saliva.
- Step 5: A dental crown will be placed on your tooth to treat your tooth. These are custom-made crowns. They can take about a week to be made after you measure them.
If you live in Noida or its surrounding areas, you can go to Neo Dental Clinic in Noida to get the root canal treatment.
Does a Root Canal Hurt?
One of the most asked questions about the root canal treatment is if it hurts. Many people don’t get a root canal because of this sole reason. You don’t feel pain during the treatment because of the anesthesia. After the effect of anesthesia is lowered, you may have some minor discomfort, says Dr. Singh. You may also feel some sensitivity for a few days. These conditions go away with antibiotics. Your doctor will give you some antibiotics to soothe the pain.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
According to Dr. Singh, the following are the advantages of root canal treatment:
- Prevent the spread of infection to other teeth.
- Relieve the symptoms of an infected tooth.
- Reduce the possibility of jawbone injury.
- Get rid of the necessity for teeth extractions.
- Relieves you from the toothache
Cost of Root Canal Treatment in India
The price of a roots canals treatment varies from city to city and clinic to clinic, says Dr.Singh from Neo Dental Clinic in Noida. The average cost of a root canal in India ranges from Rs. 1500 to Rs. 12000.
- Brush daily two times
- Get your cavities filled as soon as possible
- Try to avoid hard foods
- Wear a mouthguard at night if you grind your teeth and while playing sports
- Try to use mouthwash.
Having a toothache or swollen jaw can be very painful and scary. A root canal can be a good option if you experience these things. You don’t need to be scared of root canal treatment. It is safe, and you can live a normal and pain-free life afterward.